Essex Richards, P.A. is seeking a motivated, compassionate, experienced, and highly organized paralegal to join our ERISA/employee benefits litigation team. This individual will be responsible for assisting with employee benefit and insurance disputes, administrative appeals, and plaintiff litigation matters, as well as taking ownership in the day-to-day management of the litigation practices of two full-time attorneys.
· Interview and interact with both prospective and existing clients.
· Provide clients with regular updates and ensure client matters are resolved.
· Communicate with court personnel and other legal professionals.
· Perform administrative tasks such as client intake, requesting documents, and scheduling appointments.
· Coordinate with medical providers and insurance carriers.
· Assist attorneys with drafting and preparing litigation documents such as pleadings, discovery requests and responses, and briefs.
· Finalize briefs and court filings, format and proof documents prior to submission.
· File motions and pleadings in state, federal, and appellate courts.
· Identify, track, and calendar deadlines.
· Organize exhibits, documents, briefs, and appendices.
· Review medical records and prepare medical record chronologies.
· Conduct legal and other factual research.
· Perform other tasks as assigned.
Communication with clients and prospective clients by both telephone and email is a significant component of this position. The right candidate will be able to communicate with existing clients and potential new clients about the litigation process in a kind and timely manner. Our selected candidate will often be the first person to communicate with potential new clients on behalf of our team, so compassion, empathy, patience, and strong client service skills are a must.
The successful candidate will be friendly, approachable, and able to interact and collaborate effectively with our team of attorneys, staff, clients, and third parties. Professionalism is very important, as is showing a genuine concern for the welfare of our clients.
The well-qualified candidate will take ownership over projects, be solution-oriented, and possess a high level of accuracy, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and organizational skills. Multitasking, independent thinking, and effective prioritization are critical. Strong written and oral communication skills are a must as is the ability to manage deadlines and lawyers in order to keep our practice running smoothly.
- 3+ years litigation or related experience.
- Excellent computer knowledge, which includes proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Word and Outlook), Adobe Acrobat, and court-filing portals (PACER, etc.).
- Experience using state and federal rules of civil procedure, Bluebook, and Lexis (or other legal research software).
- Experience with medical records, insurance policies, and/or in ERISA is a plus.
Essex Richards, P.A. is an established small-midsize Charlotte law firm that has made its home in the South End/Dilworth area for over 45 years. We offer a competitive benefits package, a supportive team, and a friendly working environment. Salary commensurate with experience and ability. Confidentiality is assured if requested. Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.