Rick Elkins was born in Martinsville, Virginia and moved to Charlotte in 1961. After graduating from South Mecklenburg High School he attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as a Morehead Scholar. He received his law degree from the UNC in 1976 and soon thereafter began practicing law in Charlotte.
Rick served as a District Court Judge in Mecklenburg County for eight years, from 1984 to 1992. He then re-entered private practice, specializing in family law. He has served as a mediator and as an arbitrator in many domestic cases. He is a member of the Mecklenburg County Bar Association, currently serving as Chairman of the Judicial Nominating Committee. He is also a member of the North Carolina and American Bar Associations.
Rick and his wife Kathy are the parents of two boys.
Areas of Practice:
- Family Law, including Equitable Distribution, Custody and Support
- Mediation and Arbitration of Domestic Cases
- Civil Litigation
- North Carolina, 1976
- U.S. Federal Court, 1977
- University of North Carolina School of Law
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Bachelor of Arts with Honors in English
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Family Law Section